Monday, October 28, 2013

October 28, 2013

Hey guys,
 
Man this week has passed by so fast, it feels like two days ago I was emailing you guys. I guess that is what happens when you have zone conference. Oh man, I can't even begin to describe how good zone conference was last week. The topic was "How can I teach with more Power?" and the trainings were super, super good. I really enjoyed listening to the training of President Tew, he is a spiritual giant!! When ever he teaches or gives a training, you know you are going to get slammed with the Spirit. But I learned so much and am so grateful to have such a great mission president. Now comes the hardest part.....Applying it.
 
So to answer some of mom's questions. We live with members in their home, they have a guest bed room that we use to sleep and study in. There is also a bathroom connected to the room. Then we have very little storage space to store our food which is a little bit annoying, and just use their dishes and other stuff to make our food. We are still eating with members, so we just have to worry about breakfast and lunch. The good thing about living with members is we can also use their washer and dryer for free, so no more paying for laundry for the next couple weeks. Our church building is a ways away, but since Elder Curtis has a small tear in his meniscus we have a car so it makes traveling pretty easy. Shopping is the same, there is a Wal-Mart in our area, and a really good Hispanic store that sells fruit and veggies pretty cheap. About the scripture cases, I talked with the Elder who does it and he is actually leaving next transfer, so he isn't going to do another order. He is, however, going to get me the contact information for the guy who does everything and I can order them myself. I am still waiting for the info, but when I have it, I will let you know and we can try to coordinate everything.
 
So this past week was really good. We found some one new to teach which was awesome. We were walking back to our car to head home for lunch and we saw her on the other side of the street trying to cross with 6 bags of groceries. We ran over to help her and as we did she recognized us as missionaries. She then told us she was interested in learning about the church and we set up an appointment later that week. When we taught her she was super excited about the Gospel and was really surprised how she could relate her life to characters in the Bible. She really liked, as well, how the Gospel can relate to us, and the blessings that come from the Gospel. We committed her to Baptism and she accepted it!! She also came to church yesterday and enjoyed every moment. She was participating in the classes and taking notes it was super cool. The only thing is she speaks English better than Spanish, so she wants to try the English ward this Sunday and then see what she feels more comfortable with. So we might be passing her off, but she is super cool and super prepared it is awesome.
 
Overall this was a good week. We also had a companionship in our district baptize someone yesterday so that was cool to see them there. I am starting to get more and more comfortable with the area and can find my way around a lot better. I am also getting to know our investigators better as well. We are still working hard to find new people to teach and increase our teaching pool. Of the investigators we have, they are good we just have a hard time setting up appointments and help them see the blessings that come from the Gospel. We have some good plans this week to find more people though, and to visit our investigators more so this will be a good week.
 
So I want to share a little bit what I studied this morning from Preach My Gospel. I was reading about extending invitations towards commitments, especially about bearing your testimony with while you teach. It was cool to read about how bearing your testimony can help other people feel the Spirit and have a desire to learn more about the Gospel. Especially when you bear a sincere testimony from the heart. It has been cool to experience that here on the mission and see how people can feel the Spirit from sincere testimony. It is something I have been trying to apply in every lesson and as I do, I notice that my testimony is strengthened as well. So I invite you guys to do the same thing. You say you want to share the Gospel more, start off with you testimony. Doesn't have to be super long, just short powerful statements about what you believe and how it has blessed your life. I can promise you as you share your testimony more often, it church, with friends, with family, or anywhere, you will have the Spirit with you and the words you speak will touch the hearts of those you share it with.
 
Well time is short, and time to get back to work. Thank you for everything and hope all is well. Hope you are ready for the snow. ;)
 
Love,
 
Elder Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment