Monday, April 21, 2014

April 21, 2014

Hi everyone,

First off thanks for all the Happy Birthday wishes! Kinda weird turning 20 years old, especially on the mission and not at home. But its all good, I am just glad my birthday fell on a p-day so I can do most of the things I want to do. But ya I made another loop around the sun... YAA!!

So this past week just started off a little slow, but picked up tremendously. First off I did exchanges with our DL again, I worked with his companion Elder Brock who actually was in my MTC District. It was alot of fun working with him, he is such a hard worker and a great example to me. I remember how nervous he was starting the mission, but now I think he is the best missionary from our district. He has worked so hard to learn the language (He pretty much is a native), and does such a good job teaching simply, asking questions and loving those he teaches. It was a great exchange.

Then on Saturday we had our Zone Conference which was BOMB!! We received trainings on effective planning especially to find, the role of prayer, the role of the Book of Mormon, and teaching simple doctrine. Unfortunately President Tew was having some health issues and wasn't able to come to our zone conference, but the Assistance did such a great job teaching the last two trainings. It actually is something really hard to do: To take all the lessons we teach, every specific point, and simplify it down to the simple, basic Doctrine. As part of the training we were to pick a specific part of a lesson, for example prophets, and teach it in one sentence followed by an inspired question. Man it was pretty hard I can tell ya. This is what I did for Prophets,

"Prophets are God's servants on the earth to help His children return to live with Him. How do you feel that God has given you prophets?"

It is pretty hard to sum up everything into one or two sentences, this took me about 15 minutes to create. I remember trying to sum up Christ Ministry into two sentences and it took my 40 minutes of my personal study to do. It is hard; but I remember when we practiced this in our zone conference, how strong the Spirit was, and how much better I knew those I was practicing with: their needs and concerns, how well they understand and accept it. There is a quote in Preach My Gospel by President John Taylor that says,

"It is true knowledge to take something as big as the Gospel...and teach it so simply a child could understand it."

I know that teaching simply is an important key in missionary work. To simplify it so simply that others can understand, feel the Holy Ghost testify of the truthfulness, and help they find answers of their own. It takes alot of study, alot of patience, and being in tune with the Spirit to do so. But I know that it works, and I can't wait to put it into practice more and more here in our area.

Sorry that was a little longer than I thought. Things are going super good in our area, last week we found 4 new investigators and were able to set another baptismal date with one, se llama Edgar. Elder Lloyd found him with Elder Lund when we were on exchanges. But he sounds super cool, and I can't wait to meet him. The Lord is really helping us in our area, just like He did when I was in Whittier. I know that this is His work, and He is guiding us every day. I am grateful for this opportunity to be His servant and to help His children understand His Gospel, the basics truths for happiness. This work is amazing, and I am loving every opportunity I have to help His children come closer to Him.

Thank you for everything, and I hope all is well.

Elder Roberts

"Missionaries [and members] who pray for missionary opportunities will see missionary opportunities every where. Missionaries [and members] who don't pray for missionary opportunities will not have such experiences, even though they will encounter the same people in the same scenario." - President Tew

No comments:

Post a Comment