Tuesday, April 8, 2014

April 7, 2014


Hey guys,

Guess I will first off answer your questions about the new area. So I am serving in a city called Bellflower, the zone is called Cerritos. I am serving in a Spanish ward, Cerritos 2nd ward, with 8 other missionaries. My companion's name is Elder Lloyd, and he is from Sandy Utah (I don't know why I always get stuck with companions from Utah) and he has been out about 14 months. Then you will get a kick out of this: My district leader is Elder Lund, the grandson of the Lunds in your ward right now. Yep I found him and we are super excited to be serving in the same ward together. Our area looks very similar to downtown Logan. A lot of stores along the main street with houses and apartments as you move away from the center. We live in an apartment inside of our area, and we do not have a car so we have been using bikes and walking. Our area is pretty small, only about 6 miles by 1 miles big so not too crazy. With the ward, there isn't a set system for giving dinners to the missionaries. Usually the missionaries set them up on their own, so this past week we have not eaten with members. But we are going to try to change that so we can get to know the members better. Whew I think that answers it all, if not you will have to wait another week for more details.

This week has been hard and different. It always is difficult when you get moved to a new area and you just have no idea what is happening in it. For our area, it is very similar to my last area in Whittier: We have little to no investigators, several less-actives, and several pages of potentials that other missionaries have contacted. So it is going to be very similar to the past 3 months: pass by these potentials and try to start teaching them, street contacts, and member referrals. I know that the Lord will help us because He helped us when I was in Whittier with Elder Awerkamp. I know that the Lord has a plan for us here in Cerritos in our area. I know that He wants as many of His children to come closer to Him, and it will be through us that we will help His work progress. I am excited for the challenges that lie ahead, and for the guidance of the Savior to overcome these challenges.

I am glad to hear that you all had a fun time down it San Diego. I got an e-mail from Kyler Olson that he saw you guys in San Diego. I don't know if you saw him, or if he just saw you guys from a distance. Thanks for all the updates, and hope everything goes well for you guys these next few weeks. Sounds like you all are going to be pretty busy.

General Conference was BOMB!!! So many good talks and a lot of great counsel from our leaders. I agree with you both: Elder Uchtdorf's talk was awesome about gratitude, along with Elder Bednar's talk about spiritual load and that through the Atonement of Christ, we can have a positive spiritual load. My question for you all is: Do you think this was President Packer's last conference? His talk was so spiritually packed, and his testimony was soooo strong. I hope it isn't his last conference, and we can have one more chance to hear him speak. I was thinking about listening to the conference is Spanish, but decided that it would be better if I stayed with English. Maybe next time I will be more confident.

Things are going well here. After conference I just feel more spiritually strong and spiritually fed. I can't wait to go back and study the talks again. I really like how most of the talks were about faith, and courage to stand for what we believe. I absolutely love it, and am so grateful to be a missionary at this time. To carry His gospel to all the world, and to stand up for what I believe. I know that God is our loving Heavenly Father, and we are all His Children. I know that Christ came to this earth and atoned for our sins so we do not have to carry the heavy load of sin. I know that He lives, and guides His church here on the Earth. I know that through the prophet Joseph Smith, His church was restored with all His teachings and the priesthood authority. I know that President Thomas S. Monson is His prophet, and that he is truly called of God to lead us. I know this is true, "I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!" I love you all, and am so grateful for the blessing of families. I know that the family is ordained of God, and the greatest blessing we can have in our life. Thank you all for your love, support, and teachings. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment