Tuesday, April 7, 2015

April 6, 2015

Hello Everyone,

Ok I am going to get the transfer updates out of the way right now. Elder Obray and I will be staying together working in the Bolsa Chica ward in Westminister and Huntington Beach. I am still a District Leader and we will be having a boss District this transfer. Elder Higley got transferred to Cerritos and Elder Rebolloso will be companions with Elder Petersen (Yes Cache Valley Elder Petersen, this Elder keeps following me around). Elder Jenkins is finishing his mission tomorrow, so Elder Humphreys will be companions with Elder Ortega as our Zone Leaders. To compare how strong our District is going to be, think of the 2014 NBA Championship Spurs. We are super excited for this transfer to just blow things up.

Ok so how was Conference for everyone?? I think this was probably one of the best General Conference within the past few years. Every talk was just so applicable to everyone, especially to me, and there was a lot of great counsel given. We listened to 4 of the 5 sessions in English, but the Sunday Morning session we watched in Spanish because our ward streamed it to our building and we had a little pot luck in between the sessions. I wanted to stay for the Afternoon session, but Elder Obray didn't understand anything said so we watched it in English. I think some of my favorite talks were by Elder Bednar, Elder Christofferson, President Monson and President Eyring. I loved President Monson's talk about the temples as well. It really got me excited to attend the temple more and feel more of that peace. When they announced the temple in Thailand, I immediately thought of Brennan and how excited he probably was to hear that. This was such an amazing weekend and very spiritually filled.

As for the rest of the week, we just wanted to work extra hard. Usually, in the past with General Conference, I have kinda slacked off knowing that most of the weekend would be watching General Conference. However, I really wanted to work hard to 1) Finish the transfer off strong, 2) Invite everyone to listen to the words of a living prophet and 3) I felt like if I worked hard, I would be more prepared to receive personal revelation. Well we accomplished all three of those goals and it made the weekend even that more sweeter.

On Wednesday we had a pretty cool experience. So we had several lessons set up in the evening, including one with a Less-Active who was going to feed us. Well our first lesson fell through, and shortly after we receive a text from our Less- Active cancelling our lesson, and dinner. So we were stuck with over 2 hours of work left, half of our plans already used up, and no dinner. So before we even did anything else we said a prayer and asked for help to find at least 1 person to teach. We took off to try by some potentials and it just felt right that we should be there. So we started to just talk with everyone in sight. Well we found this one guy, Javier, and we started teaching him the Restoration. At first he was a little distracted, but as we started explaining more about the ministry of Jesus Christ and that He established His Church, his attention was refocused and he started listening more. We weren't able to teach about the First Vision, but we are hoping to find him soon in order to do so. It was a cool experience to see that God answered our prayer as we just lost ourselves to His will and plan.

So we had an interesting experience. So we are teaching english to the son of a less active member named Juan. Well at first we thought he was a member because he had come to church with his mom the past 2 weeks. Well we show up on Friday to teach him and he ask us if we could equal out the time to teach english and teach him about the church. Go to find out that he isn't a member, just his mother is. So we shared with him a bit of the Restoration and set up a return appointment for Tuesday to teach him more. So that was a pretty cool miracle.

Yesterday we went to the Departure Fireside for the Missionaries finishing up their mission. While we were there I saw la familia Berriel and had a good visit with the hermano, Alejandro. He has fallen away from the church a little bit because he was looking for hard facts to support the church. Well during Conference, he really felt the Spirit just testify to him that this is the true church and he broke down crying. He came to the conclusion that he isn't going to know everything, but what he felt is what he wants more than anything. He said he is going to start coming back and really build himself upon the Gospel. I was so, so, so happy to hear that. The rest of the family all looked super happy as well. Jazmin couldn't believe that they have been members for almost a year now. We are really praying that they get sealed either at the end of this month or next month. I told Elder Higley that if they get sealed after we return home, I am going to drop everything to be at their sealing. They are such a special family to me and I really hope that they continue to establish themselves on the Rock of Christ.

Well that is the summary for the week. This is the last 6 weeks of my mission. Right now I am imagining myself starting the last 400 meters of the 1600 meter race. I know that there is still enough time to finish strong, and I will finish it off strong. I love this work and want to leave it stronger than I found it. I am super excited for the challenges and experiences that are ahead these next 6 weeks. The Lord has placed in our path amazing people that He has prepared to receive his Gospel. Now it is our responsibility to help them know for themselves that this is true. I love my Savior and I am so grateful to be His personal representative.

I love you all. Hope you all had a good Easter Weekend. Remember: HE LIVES! If you haven't watch the video Because He Lives and you will come closer to Him, I promise you. Look to Him in ALL things, doubt not, fear not. I know He lives and because He lives, He can provide to us the light to return to Him and our Loving Heavenly Father.

Have a good week!
Elder Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment