Sunday, March 16, 2014

March 10, 2014

Hey guys,
 
 
Well another week has flown by, and we are halfway through the transfer. I am very worried that it is just going to fly by right now, and before we know it we will be in June. Elder Awerkamp and I were talking the other night, and we just realized that General Conference is in a couple weeks. We arrived to Whittier right after Conference in October, 6 months ago. It is so crazy because I can still remember the talks given, and everything. It is just flying by way too fast! But we are doing alot of good work in our area, and the Lord is truly blessing us.
 
Funny that you should talk about the rain we got 2 weeks ago. Because it went from soggy, wet, cold weekend, to hot, humid, 80 degree weather. I guess that is kinda the weather pattern here in Whittier, never is the same weather the following week. It is very similar to back home, mostly because we aren't close to the ocean, so it is mostly desert. I heard that it gets wickedly hot during the summer here, so we will see what happens.
 
So this week, our two families we are teaching just got blasted with trials. For one of the, la familia Guzman, one of their daughters have had back problems since she was 14 and just barely they found a problem with one of her disks. This caused her to be taken to the hospital, and possibly surgery. We were able to visit her and her family in the hospital on Thursday, the day after she was admitted into the hospital, and the doctors were still trying to come up with a game plan. So we haven't heard from them for a while, and are guessing she had to have surgery. So that was hard trying to visit with them.
 
Then the other family, la familia Berriel, were just getting blasted with financial problems. It was really sad to see them struggle through it, and try to find work to bring in enough money to pay for everything. But they have been very calm, and have really been exercising faith in the Savior to help them through this trial. Hopefully they will be able to find work this week, and begin to have the funds necessary.
 
Through all of these trials, and difficulties, I studied quite a bit about patience in our trials, and specific promises that the Lord will deliver us. Every time I have studied this topic, I am led to the experience that Alma the elder had in Mosiah 23-24. You have a group of people who had just make a covenant with God through baptism, and right after they get put into captivity. Doesn't sound too fair. But I love the example that these people show, they continue to put their trust in God, exercise their faith through prayer, and patiently bear there trials. I just love this example and the blessings from God are amazing: Their burdens were made light, they had more faith and patience, and were eventually freed from their captivity.
 
Through studying this story, I have really come to see how the Book of Mormon is written for us, and how we can "Liken" all scriptures to ourself. As we apply this principle, of likening the scriptures to ourself, we come to have more faith in our trials and we come to find answers to our questions. Then our testimony of the Book of Mormon is strengthened, and our love for it is strengthened. I love this principle that the Lord has given us, and am trying daily to apply it to myself and our investigators.
 
I am so grateful for this time I have to be a missionary for our savior, Jesus Christ. I am thankful for the trials I have, and the opportunities to strengthen my testimony and faith in His Gospel. Then to share that same love, and experiences with others here in our area. I know he is directing the work here, and He is constantly guiding us to those who are ready to receive the truth. I love Him, and and grateful for all the many blessings I have received from Him.
 
Hope you all have a great week. Thank you for your example to me, and your love. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
 
Elder Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment